With all the media attention in recent years, the word MOLD brings an instant hesitation. Is it a real concern? The truth is, the effects of mold on our bodies are just now being understood. While rare, serious health effects from exposure to fungi, do occur. Too much exposure to certain types of mold could trigger asthma, cause allergic reactions, rashes and other respiratory complaints.
People are more susceptible to a fungus when it is in a building. Infants are more susceptible to infection because their immune systems haven’t fully developed. The elderly tend to have weaker immune systems, too. Because of the potential harm, any water intrusion into a building should be handled quickly and professionally.
What are some of the signs of mold contamination?
• Visible mold growth
• Musty or earthy odor that is most noticeable when you first enter a structure or room. Your nose will be become desensitized to it in about 10 seconds.
• High indoor humidity levels for extended periods
• Headaches and allergic reactions when within the environment
Molds can grow on virtually any substance, provided that moisture is present. Prompt attention to water damage or visible mold can often keep a minor problem from becoming major.
If I discover mold, what do I do?
First, don’t panic, but do use caution. Make sure your actions won’t aggravate the problem by making the spores airborne or spread them to uncontaminated areas. Call Sunshine Cleaning for an assessment. Testing can be done to determine the type of mold, but the bottom line is that the mold has to go, no matter what species.
You can count on Sunshine Cleaning for all your drying and remediation needs. These include:
• Inspection and Assessment of the cause and extent of damage.
• Ozone Cleaning and Soda Blasting
• Containment to prevent the spread of fungi to unaffected areas
• Remediation, depending on the extent of damage.
• Cleaning of contents in affected areas.
• Clearance testing through an independent third party.